Book Art Biennial 2017
July 20-23, 2017
The 2017 Book Art Biennial — Shout Out: Community Intervention, Independent Publishing, and Alternative Distribution — features programming that encourages people of all disciplines and skill levels to amplify individual and collective voice through grassroots artistic practice.
The centerpiece of the Book Art Biennial is the presentation of the MCBA Prize, a unique award that showcases and honors the best artists’ books in the world. The winner will be announced at a gala and awards ceremony the evening of Saturday, July 22.
Four unique workshops will be offered prior to the Book Art Biennial: Alternative Printmaking with Rubber Stamps, Papermaking in the Islamic World, Innovative Books from Head to Tail: Ideas – Content – Making, and Approachable Metalworking for Book Artists. Each is designed to inspire participants and demonstrate the intersection of historical craft with contemporary content. Participants of all skill levels are welcome!
Tuition for each is $250 ($225 for MCBA members) plus a $55 supply fee. Follow the links above or call 612 215 2520 to register.
An unprecedented number of exhibitions provide an exciting backdrop for the 2017 Book Art Biennial.
- Amos Paul Kennedy Jr.’s democratic and collaborative project, Open Book Takeover, will feature 5,000 community-made prints that will cover the 55,000 square foot Open Book Building.
- An interactive zine reading lounge, Free for All will be installed by organizers of Twin Cities Zine Fest.
- Artist Julie Sirek will present her installation No Private Matter.
- Guest curator Heid Erdrich will gather Native American voices in the exhibition About that (Water is) Life.
- Stamp of Disapproval will showcase counter-culture work from MCBA’s S. Helmes and W. Gaglione Rubber Stamp Archive.
- Meander, new work by environmental artist Alyssa Baguss, will be on view in the Outlook Gallery.
- Reader’s Art: Control/Alt/Shift, a juried exhibition of artists’ books exploring the politics of control and alternative methods of public discourse, will be on view in Open Book’s Literary Commons.
The MCBA Prize
The MCBA Prize is the first honor to celebrate the diversity of book art and recognize work from across the field and around the world. A jury of three distinguished leaders in the field will review all submissions and choose five finalists. These five works will be on display at MCBA during the Biennial. From these works, the jury will select the recipient of the 2017 MCBA Prize. Integrity and the unity of form, materials, and content will determine the winner. Over $9,000 will be awarded.
Become a Sponsor
A series of special sponsorship opportunities are available to support the Book Art Biennial:
- Presenting Sponsor—$5,000 ($4,400 tax-deductible)
Benefits include: 12 VIP Gala tickets; logo or personal acknowledgement in the Gala invitation, event programs and other print and online promotions; and a private reception and tour of MCBA’s galleries and studios for you and 12 fiends with MCBA’s Executive Director.
- Signature Sponsor—$2,500 ($2,100 tax-deductible)
Benefits include: 8 VIP Gala tickets; and logo or personal acknowledgement in the Gala invitation, event programs and other print and online promotions.
- Patron Sponsor—$1,000 ($700 tax-deductible)
Benefits include: 6 VIP Gala tickets; and logo or personal acknowledgement in the Gala invitation, event programs and other print and online promotions.
- Program Sponsor—$500 ($300 tax-deductible)
Benefits include: 4 VIP Gala tickets; and logo or personal acknowledgement in event programs and event webpage.
- Event Host—$250 ($150 tax-deductible)
Benefits include: 2 VIP Gala tickets; and personal acknowledgement in event programs and event webpage.
Make your sponsorship gift here. Questions? Contact Amanda Kaler, Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.