Work with us!
Thank you for considering employment with MCBA. Currently, we do not have any job openings. Sign up for our e-newsletter to be the first to know about employment opportunities.
Become an MCBA Board Member
Deadline: Open until filled
Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA), located in the Open Book building in downtown Minneapolis, is the largest center of its kind, providing 12,000 square feet of studios, classrooms and professional public gallery space. For over thirty years, MCBA has served as a key arts resource for audiences and artists, and has made significant contributions to the community’s cultural depth and diversity.
MCBA’s mission is to advance the book as a vital contemporary art form, preserve the traditional crafts of bookmaking, inspire diverse artists and learners, and engage audiences in educational, creative and interpretive experiences.
MCBA serves a broad spectrum of the artist community, including letterpress printers and printmakers, papermakers, bookbinders, graphic designers, cartoonists, calligraphers and art educators. Opportunities at MCBA attract creative individuals in other disciplines as well, exposing writers, photographers, illustrators, filmmakers, sculptors, textile artists, musicians, graffiti artists, poets and performance artists to the book arts.
Its mission drives the creation of engaging and accessible opportunities for people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to explore the book arts. Through partnerships with schools and community organizations, MCBA broadens access to the arts and advocates for the use of artmaking in education and social services.
MCBA is seeking to attract new board members who are inspired by its mission, and interested in helping guide the organization forward into its next chapter. MCBA is going through an organizational transition, and 2018 will require additional focus on seeking a new executive director.
Board Member Responsibilities
Minnesota Center for Book Arts board members are guardians of the mission, acting to set general direction for and govern the organization in a manner that ensures compliance with legal and financial requirements, protects MCBA assets, as well as maintaining accountability, transparency and ethical behavior. MCBA board member expectations include:
- Be informed about MCBA’s vision, mission, services, programs and policies
- Prepare for, attend and actively participate in monthly board meetings
- Provide governance and fiduciary oversight, including approving the budget; selecting auditors; reviewing and amending bylaws and organization policies as necessary; understanding monthly financial statements and assuring proper financial controls
- Participate in strategic planning efforts
- Support a culture of philanthropy by assisting in development and fundraising activities, including identifying and cultivating prospective donors and reinforcing relationships with current donors
- Support the Executive Director, and evaluate performance
- Attend events and exhibition openings, take classes and shop at MCBA
- Be an ambassador… introduce and promote MCBA to your family, friends and personal networks
- Engage with social media… “Like” MCBA on Facebook, share posts and sign up for eNewsletters
- Serve on one or more committees and/or task forces, and volunteer for special assignments
- Help recruit and orient new board members who can add experience and skills
- Make an annual financial gift to MCBA at a level that is personally significant
QUALIFICATIONS OR REQUIREMENTS
MCBA is seeking new board members with backgrounds in financial management, development and fundraising, as well as legal expertise.
It is the policy of Minnesota Center for Book Arts to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants in accordance with all applicable laws, directives and regulations of federal, state and local governing bodies and agencies. MCBA is committed to an inclusive workplace as well as increasing diversity in our workforce.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please respond via email with resume and 1-pg cover letter to email@example.com with “MCBA Board Member” in the subject line.
Please do not submit your materials by mail or in person. No phone calls please.