Employment Opportunities at MCBA
Minnesota Center for Book Arts is currently seeking applicants for the MCBA/Windgate Museum Internship.
Minnesota Center for Book Arts seeks internship support for projects related to the organization’s James and Marilynn Alcott Library. The Alcott Library preserves the craft of bookbinding, papermaking, printing, and related craft, housing over 2,700 artists’ books, references, scrolls, periodicals, prints, and broadsides. The library serves as an archive of artwork created through MCBA’s artistic programs, including the annual fine press publication, Winter Book, which features Minnesota book artists, writers, and illustrators.
Goal of position:
The MCBA/Windgate Museum Intern will assist with research, writing, editing, exhibition planning, and installation of the Art of the Limited Edition exhibition, on view from October 2017 to January 2018. The intern will also support the development of a plan to digitize 26 years of MCBA’s annual craft publication, Winter Book, for public access. Specific tasks include:
- Assist with the coordination of exhibition installation including the layout, proper display and lighting of exhibition objects.
- Assist with research and writing interpretive copy, exhibition labels, and promotional materials.
- Assist with developing educational components to accompany exhibitions such as gallery walks and tours.
- Cataloguing support of special collections.
- Research digital archiving technology and technical guidelines for electronic access.
- Work in collaboration with MCBA staff to draft an outline of the organization’s Winter Book holdings, description of current access, objectives of digitizing, approach to digitizing, prioritization, inventory, and timeline.
- Other duties as assigned.
MCBA seeks an undergraduate or graduate-level student enrolled in a relevant degree program (museum studies, art history, library science, arts management, studio arts, e.g.). Students who have received a Windgate internship in the past are not eligible to apply in 2017. Desired skills and experience include:
- Past experience working in an art museum, archives, or library setting
- Experience and/or interest in curation
- Strong research, analytical, and communication skills
- Strong motivation and ability to work independently
- PC platform computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Preferred knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and photo editing programs
- Preferred demonstrated background in historical and/or contemporary book arts
$15/hour for a maximum of 330 hour. Minimum 3-month commitment.
Deadline to apply: April 7th 2017, 5pm
Interviews: 3rd/4th week of April 2017
Final candidate selected: April 28th 2017
Contract accepted: May 1 2017
Start date negotiable, but no later than: June 12, 2017
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com by Friday, April 7th, 5pm. Include “MCBA/Windgate Museum Internship” in the subject heading. In your cover letter, please indicate your preferred available start date. No phone calls please.
Special thanks to the Center for Craft, Creativity & Design and its Windgate Museum Internship program for funding support.
A respected and dedicated champion of the field, Minnesota Center for Book Arts is the largest and most comprehensive center of its kind. We celebrate the book as a vibrant contemporary art form that takes many shapes. Our mission is clear: to lead the advancement of the book as an evolving art form.