Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) is accepting applications for a Studio & Exhibitions Internship for Winter/Spring 2019. Applications are due Wednesday, December 2 at 11:59pm CST. Internship begins the week of January 21 and lasts four months.
Studio & Exhibitions
Clean and help in studio organization, assist with studio maintenance, oiling presses, refilling solvents, cleaning screens, refilling supplies as well as directed studio specific projects, conduct routine exhibit maintenance, assist with preparation, installation, and deinstallation of exhibits, research, stock, and maintain exhibit equipment and supplies, and help with special events. Some lifting required.
Internship opportunities are unpaid. In addition to on-the-job experience and being part of the vibrant downtown arts community, interns receive a free one-year membership to MCBA. After completion of 100 hours, interns qualify for a free MCBA Adult Education class or workshop of up to 12 hours (intern must pay supply fee if applicable). Sign up for our e-newsletter to be the first to know about future internship opportunities.
For students interested in a 15-20 hour per week internship, duties for two departments may be combined at the applicant and MCBA’s agreement.
Applications are typically accepted on a rolling basis for the following periods:
Spring (January to May): applications due December 15
Summer (June to August): applications due May 1
Fall (September to December): applications due August 29
To apply for these positions, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter discussing past experience and why you want to work at MCBA
- A professional resume
- Contact info for three references (name, title, phone number, email address)
Please specify preferred internship area(s) in the subject line of the email and in your cover letter.
Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) is not accepting applications for Studio Monitors for Fall 2018. Studio monitors are important ambassadors to MCBA’s artist community and play a key role in creating a welcoming and supportive learning environment.
The Open Studio program provides artists with regular, low-cost access to our studios and equipment outside of workshops and classes. Participants work on projects in MCBA’s well-equipped bindery, paper studios, print studio or composition room and enjoy the fellowship and camaraderie of fellow artists. Participants must have adequate training to work independently in the area(s) they wish to utilize. The Open Studio sessions occur on Tuesday evenings from 6-9pm, as well as some Saturdays (times vary).
In exchange for this service, Studio Monitors receive:
- 24-hour access to MCBA studios and equipment (experience permitting)
- A 4-month (May – August) MCBA membership, which includes a 10% discount on all non-consignment products in the Shop and discounted fees for classes
- 1 free audit for MCBA classes during the summer session (supply Fee will need to be paid in full, and audits can be overridden by any paying class attendees)
- Storage space, including 1 cabinet shelf and 1 flat file
- 10 images of recent work
- Image list
- Two references
- A brief statement detailing your training in the area you are applying for and what you hope to accomplish with access to MCBA’s studios. If you have relevant skills in more than one area, you are welcome to apply for multiple positions.
- Studio monitors must be available for all scheduled Open Studio sessions. Specific dates listed in position descriptions.
To apply, please submit the following to Ruby Figueroa, Technical Facilities Coordinator, email@example.com.