The application period for the 2021 McKnight Fellowships for Book Artists closed at 12pm on March 1, 2021.
In partnership with the McKnight Foundation, MCBA is thrilled to recognize and support mid-career book artists living and working in Minnesota with these transformative fellowships. MCBA administers two Fellowship awards annually, allowing Minnesota book artists to set aside time for study, reflection, opportunities, new projects, experimentation, and exploration.
Fellowship benefits include:
- An unrestricted $25,000 award
- Funding for professional digital documentation of artwork
- MCBA Artist Collective membership during fellowship year
- Two studio visits from a national critic/curator/artist
- Featured participation in a public artist panel at Open Book
- Travel honorarium to attend one conference during the fellowship year
- Opportunity to attend an artist residency program
The program is designed to award Minnesota book artists whose work is of exceptional artistic merit, who have created a substantial body of work over a sustained period of time, and are at a stage in their career that is beyond emerging.
Application Cycle Opens: December 1, 2020
For further information, contact:
Torey Erin, Director of Exhibitions and Artist Programs
- Have or maintain Minnesota residency for at least one year prior to application and for the duration of the fellowship year.
- Are mid-career with a body of work that demonstrates a sustained level of accomplishment, commitment, and artistic excellence.
- Can only apply to one McKnight Artist Fellowship in any artistic discipline within a year.
- Have not been a recipient of a McKnight Artist Fellowship within any artistic discipline in the last five years. (Additionally, if applicant is a past McKnight Artist Fellow, they must demonstrate growth and ongoing artistry since their most recent McKnight Artist Fellowship.)
- Are not staff, board, or immediate family of the McKnight Foundation or fellowship administrative partners.
- Are not enrolled full-time in an academic program.
Virtual Information Sessions
Join us for a virtual information session via Zoom to learn more about the 2021 McKnight Fellowships for Book Artists! Ask any questions you may have about this year’s timeline, eligibility, benefits, and application process—including your artist statement, resume, and photo/video documentation of your work. These sessions will also be recorded and posted here for later viewing.
About the McKnight Artist Fellowships Program
Founded on the belief that Minnesota thrives when its artists thrive, the McKnight Foundation’s arts program is one of the oldest and largest of its kind in the country. Support for individual working Minnesota artists has been a cornerstone of the program since it began in 1982. The McKnight Artist Fellowships Program provides annual, unrestricted cash awards to outstanding mid-career Minnesota artists in 14 different creative disciplines. Program partner organizations administer the fellowships and structure them to respond to the unique challenges of different disciplines. Currently the foundation contributes about $2.8 million per year to its statewide fellowships. For more information, visit mcknight.org/artistfellowships.
McKnight Artist Fellowships Community Values
Welcome to the McKnight Artist Fellowships community! The McKnight Foundation and the administering partners for the McKnight Artist Fellowships are committed to creating and supporting an artistic community in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. The community of the McKnight Artist Fellowships includes people who engage with the fellowships program whether as applicants, fellows, panelists, contractors, collaborators, fellowships administrators, and staff of the McKnight Foundation and partnering organizations. As a community, we commit to creating and maintaining relationships that are free from harm, prejudice, and harassment. Community members agree to communicate directly and transparently regarding issues of conduct that could negatively impact the well-being of participating members and organizations. In the case of an accusation, legal action, or conviction, the McKnight Foundation and its fellowship program partners may gather and assess relevant information. If deemed necessary, the McKnight Foundation and its fellowship program partners may take administrative action up to and including the recommendation of participation in reconciliation or restorative justice processes; disqualification of an application; the termination of a contract; and the recall and/or termination of a fellowship. This community will be what we make it and our aim is to collectively create an experience in which all artists and members of the McKnight Artist Fellowships community thrive.
About the McKnight Foundation
The McKnight Foundation, a Minnesota-based family foundation, advances a more just, creative, and abundant future where people and planet thrive. Established in 1953, the McKnight Foundation is deeply committed to advancing climate solutions in the Midwest; building an equitable and inclusive Minnesota; and supporting the arts in Minnesota, neuroscience, and international crop research.