Minnesota Center for Book Arts is pleased to announce the McKnight Fellowships for Book Artists.
The intent of this program is to recognize and support mid-career book artists living and working in Minnesota who demonstrate exceptional artistic merit and commitment to the field. 2019 marks the first year McKnight will be partnering with MCBA to offer the fellowships program in the field of book arts. Each year going forward, MCBA will administer two Fellowship awards, which will allow Minnesota book artists to set aside time for study, reflection, opportunities, new projects, experimentation, and exploration.
Fellowship benefits include:
- An unrestricted $25,000 award
- Funding for professional digital documentation of artwork
- MCBA Artist Collective membership during fellowship year
- Two studio visits from a national critic/curator/artist
- Featured participation in a public artist panel at Open Book
- Travel honorarium to attend one conference during the fellowship year
- Opportunity to attend an artist residency program
The program is designed to award Minnesota book artists whose work is of exceptional artistic merit, who have created a substantial body of work over a sustained period of time, and are at a stage in their career that is beyond emerging.
Application Cycle Opens: December 1, 2019–March 1, 2020
Program Contact: Torey Erin, MCBA Exhibitions & Artist Programs Manager
- Have or maintain Minnesota residency for at least one year prior to application and for the duration of the fellowship year.
- Are mid-career with a body of work that demonstrates a sustained level of accomplishment, commitment, and artistic excellence.
- Can only apply to one McKnight Artist Fellowship in any artistic discipline within a year.
- Have not been a recipient of a McKnight Artist Fellowship within any artistic discipline in the last five years.
- Demonstrate growth and ongoing artistry since their most recent McKnight Artist Fellowship.
- Are not staff, board, or immediate family of the McKnight Foundation or fellowship administrative partners.
- Are not enrolled full-time in an academic program.
About the McKnight Foundation
The McKnight Foundation, a Minnesota-based family foundation, advances a more just, creative, and abundant future where people and planet thrive. We are deeply committed to advancing climate solutions in the Midwest and building an equitable and inclusive Minnesota. We also support the arts in Minnesota, neuroscience, and international crop research. Established in 1953, the Foundation has approximately $2.2 billion in assets and grants about $90 million a year.
About the McKnight Artist Fellowships Program
Founded on the belief that Minnesota thrives when its artists thrive, the McKnight Foundation’s arts program is one of the oldest and largest of its kind in the country. Support for individual working Minnesota artists has been a cornerstone of the program since it began in 1981. The McKnight Artist Fellowships Program provides annual, unrestricted cash awards to outstanding mid-career Minnesota artists in 14 different creative disciplines. Program partner organizations administer the fellowships and structure them to respond to the unique challenges of different disciplines. Currently the foundation contributes about $1.7 million per year to its statewide fellowships. For more information, visit mcknight.org/artistfellowships.