Artist Collective Studio Fellowships
Minnesota Center for Book Arts is seeking applications for five Artist Collective Studio Fellowship positions. The Artist Collective Studio Fellowship offers studio access and membership in MCBA’s Artist Collective for 12 months in exchange for work in MCBA’s studios during Studio Labs, a weekly equipment rental opportunity for those with prior training. Studio Fellows support MCBA’s Studio Technician with studio and equipment maintenance and support Studio Lab participants with any questions or equipment issues. Studio Fellows are important ambassadors to MCBA’s artist community and play a key role in creating a welcoming and supportive learning environment!
About Studio Labs
MCBA’s Studio Labs provide low-cost access to equipment outside of workshops. Participants enjoy fellowship with other makers as they work on independent projects in the bindery, wet studios, and print studios. Studio Fellows answer questions and support with equipment, but participants must register in advance and have adequate training to work independently. Studio Labs are held on Tuesdays (5pm–9pm) and one Saturday (10am–4pm) per month.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Applicants need to have intermediate-level experience in at least one of the following processes: letterpress, screen printing, papermaking, paper marbling, and bookbinding.
- Consistent in person availability on Tuesdays from 5–9pm and one Saturday per month from 10am–4pm. This is a year-long commitment and requires dependable attendance.
- This is an in person position. Applicants must be able to get to and from Minnesota Center for Book Arts.
While current members of the MCBA community are invited to apply, it is our goal to grow the organization through this position, specifically by offering emerging book artists an opportunity to both teach and learn in MCBA’s studios.
Fellowship Dates & Schedule
Studio Fellowships run from May 3, 2022 through May 30, 2023 for approximately 12–16 hours monthly, with initial onboarding and training to take place the first week of May 2022. Must be available on Tuesday evenings from 5–9pm and one Saturday per month (typically the first Saturday of the month) from 10am–4pm. Note: Fellows work one day per week. When there is a Saturday Studio Lab, there is no Lab the Tuesday prior.
- One year membership to MCBA’s Artist Collective, which provides 24-hour access to studios, equipment, and library
- Equipment training in MCBA’s studios
- A year-long MCBA membership, which includes a 10% discount on workshop tuition (not materials fees) and all non-consignment products in the Shop
- Storage space, including one shelf and one flat file
- The opportunity to show work in the annual Artist Collective exhibition in MCBA’s Main Gallery (Exhibition dates: May 26–July 31, 2022; Installation dates: May 16–25)
- The opportunity to participate in Art-Share sessions with MCBA staff and Artist Collective members
- 70/30 consignment-split on accepted work in The Shop at MCBA
Covid Safety Protocols
All studio users are required to be vaccinated and boosted and to wear a mask while in MCBA’s studios and the Open Book building. By applying for this in-person position, you agree to these terms. See MCBA’s full Covid protocols for more information.
How to Apply
Please submit the following to Molly Poganski, Studio Technician, firstname.lastname@example.org, by Monday, February 28, 2022, 11:59pm CT.
- A professional resumé (including information about any relevant training in book arts)
- 3-5 images of recent work (72 dpi with one side no larger than 1000 pixels) that demonstrate your experience in one or many of the following processes: letterpress, papermaking, screen printing, and/or bookbinding. Please send images as attachments (do not include images in the body of your email).
- A brief cover letter* stating why you would like to join the MCBA community as a Studio Fellow and information about your experience working in the following processes: letterpress, papermaking, screen printing, and/or bookbinding.
- Name and contact information for two references
*In your cover letter, please confirm that you are available on the days and times listed above. Please include the title “Studio Fellowship 2022” in the subject line of the email.
Applicants may be asked to be interviewed virtually.
We prioritize a culture of equity, inclusion, and care for self and community. We encourage candidates with diverse cultural backgrounds and lived experiences to apply.